On January 5th, 2015, president Obama unveiled his new strategy concerning gun control in America. This was meant to reduce gun violence that is currently common in America. This strategy focuses on new background checks that ensure that the national instant criminal background checks system is effective. This was also to make sure that there are enforcement efforts and greater education concerning gun laws at the state level.
Currently, the most sold weapons in America are the 9mm pistols, and the most sold one being. These guns are known for their accuracy and reset time. This is why they could end up taking the place of Berretta. Unlike other guns, most weapon manufacturers make a large number of their pistols in 9mm. When it comes to the cost, these weapons are cheaper as compared to other guns of the same caliber. In fact, this is why many people favor these weapons over the others.
- Requires That ATF bureau issues a rule requiring that background checks be done for all those who buy guns in the US. It will also issue a rule clarifying that those who transport firearms must immediately inform the law enforcement agencies in case they are stolen or lost on transit.
- It encourages greater communication between state authorities and the federal governments concerning the criminal history. It, therefore, seeks to increase communication between states to ensure that there is a proper and a comprehensive background checks.
- Instructs the FBI to make the background checks more efficient and accurate. Some of these improvements include increasing the number of personal by 50%, permit better notification of local authorities and states and to modernize NICS so that they can carry out backgrounds checks within 24 hours.
- Calls for increased funding so that NICS can hire addition 200 agents and investigators to assist with enforcing these new gun laws. This plan dedicates $4 million to this project and additional personal to enhance it.
- Asks the attorney general to encourage the US attorneys to work with groups, state and local authorities to ensure that there is an increased prevention of domestic violence and to prevent unlicensed persons from obtaining the guns. The state attorneys are also required to direct resources towards eliminating the most impactful and dangerous cases in violent offenders and illegal gun trafficking.
- Direct the department of defense, homeland security, and justice to carry out research on gun security. This will reduce instances of unauthorized use and accidental discharge of firearms.
- Directs the bureau of firearms, alcohol, and explosives to ensure that any business that is trading on firearms obtains a Federal license before doing so. This requirement applies to online gun sellers, gun shows and gun stores. Failure to do this will attract a penalty of up to 5 years imprisonment and a fine of up to $250,000.
- Proposes an additional $500 million to increase access to mental health care by increasing the service capacity of the country. This will also remove the barriers preventing the states from reporting people who are not allowed to possess guns due to mental health reasons.
- The plan launches a national gun campaign that to ensure that there is responsible gun ownership by the citizens. It authorizes the consumer product safety commission to assess all issues related to gun ownership. This will also help schools to continuously focus on safety. The plan calls for more schools, resource counselors, and officers to also assist in these concerted efforts by the state.
- Improves the mental awareness through enhanced teacher referrals and training to ensure that there is an immediate treatment for those who are mentally disturbed. It calls for the training of additional 5000 personnel in healthcare countrywide so that there should no lack of capacity. The coverage of mental treatment will also be done under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- Maximizes efforts to deter gun violence and prosecute any crime that is related to guns. This will ensure that the US attorney general will work together with other attorneys to ensure that this done well.
In summary, since these measures would be very difficult to pass in America due to the gun lobby and gun culture in the US, president Obama has been forced to act without the congress with a smaller change in the gun policy.
See Obama’s speech on Time.com